You’ve just bought your first pair of Spanx and you’re ready to try them on to achieve a more streamlined look. But there is one question that might be nagging you “Do I Wear Underwear Under Spanx?”
You are not alone, this question remains a hot topic among many of us. The debate over whether to wear or not to wear underwear under Spanx is a topic that has puzzled many persons including fitness enthusiasts and gym goers for years.
So, it’s high time to dive into this topic and provide you with a comprehensive guide to understand the best practices, health considerations and personal comfort factors that surround this debate.
Understanding Spanx: A Brief Overview
Before we dive into the most important point of the debate, let’s first understand What Spanx are and when the idea of creating them first appeared:
Spanx: A Brief History
The journey of Spanx came back to 1998 when Sara Blakely cut the feet off her pantyhose in a bid to create a smoother silhouette under a pair of white pants. This innovative solution birthed the idea of Spanx, and since then, the brand has been dedicated to producing undergarments that create the perfect, seamless look.
What Is Spanx and How Does It Work?
Spanx is a renowned brand specializing in shapewear, notable for its groundbreaking footless, body-shaping pantyhose which marked its inception. Evolving from its origins of smoothing pantyhose, the company has diversified its range to encompass bodysuits, waist-cinchers, activewear, undergarments, leggings, and an array of other offerings.
Essentially, Spanx represents a genre of shapewear characterized by its snug, contouring fit. Widely embraced by both active individuals and those seeking a sleeker silhouette in their everyday lives, these garments are crafted from a flexible blend of materials—typically a fusion of lycra and nylon.
The resulting fabric imparts a gentle yet effective compression to areas like the waist, thighs, and buttocks, contributing to a smoother and more streamlined appearance.
Do You Wear Underwear Under Spanx?
Below, you’ll find a comprehensive breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages to weigh in your decision regarding the choice to wear underwear beneath Spanx shapewear:
You May Also Like:
The Pros of Wearing Underwear Under Spanx
Perhaps the strongest pros for wearing underwear beneath Spanx revolves around hygiene. Regular washing is critical if you opt to wear Spanx without underwear, as they will come into direct contact with sweat and bacteria. Wearing underwear underneath Spanx can reduce the frequency at which you need to wash your Spanx, thereby extending their lifespan
Remember!! Underwear can be changed daily (or even more frequently) but Shaperwear is often worn multiple times before washing. Adding underwear can keep your Spanx cleaner and more long-lasting
2- Personal Comfort:
Many people find it more comfortable when they wear underwear underneath Spanx as they already provide coverage and support. Besides, the extra layer ensures a sense of security and normalcy that makes them feel at ease
3- In-Built Gusset:
Many Spanx products come with a built-in, cotton-lined gusset, replacing the need for additional underwear This feature guarantees that even when you go commando in Spanx, you still get the necessary coverage and absorption
For those who aren’t completely comfortable with the snug fit of Spanx wearing underwear can provide a bit more coverage particularly when the shapewear is made from thin or lightly colored material.
The Cons of Wearing Underwear under Spanx
1- Visible Panty Line (VPL)
One primary reason why many individuals opt to forego underwear under their Spanx is to eliminate VPL, a common issue when wearing tight dresses or fitted pants wearing another layer of clothing under Spanx can cause visible Panty Lines, leading to discomfort.
2- Discomfort and Bulking
Underwear, especially if it’s the wrong size or style can lead to discomfort when worn under Spanx. It can bunch up, create extra bulk, or disrupt the smoothing effect of the shapewear.
3- Breathability Issues:
Most Spanx are made with materials that wick away sweat from the body, promoting a dry and comfortable environment during intense activities where excessive sweating is a big concern.
Adding an extra layer of clothing can affect the breathability of your ensemble
This could lead to chafing (when your thighs rub together), skin irritation, sweating or general discomfort, particularly in Summertime or When Worn for extended periods.
The Expert Opinions on Underwear and Spanx
Health and fashion experts have different viewpoints regarding wearing or not wearing underwear underneath Spanx
💬 Dr. Donnica, a women’s health expert, suggests wearing underwear under Spanx for the sake of hygiene. She points out that bacteria can multiply in the warm, dark, and moist environments, potentially leading to skin irritation.
💬 Conversely, fashion experts recommend wearing Spanx without underwear. Stylist Robert Verdi suggests that the shapewear is designed to serve as your underwear and should provide sufficient coverage and hygiene protection on its own.
💬 However, Spanx founder Sara Blakely weighed in on the debate of whether or not to wear underwear underneath Spanx. She mentioned that she designed Spanx so that you don’t need to wear underwear, but that half of the women still do. Ultimately, she stated that it’s a matter of personal preference.
💬 Blakely’s comments came after TODAY hosts Hoda Kotb and Jenna Bush Hager got into a disagreement about the matter on Tuesday’s show. Hoda said that she wears underwear underneath Spanx, while Jenna said that she doesn’t.
Fans of the show then took to Twitter to vote on the matter, with most of them agreeing with Jenna.
Are you supposed to wear underwear with Spanx?
— TODAY with Hoda & Jenna (@HodaAndJenna) June 22, 2021
💬 In the end, Blakely said that there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to whether or not to wear underwear underneath Spanx. It is a personal preference, and ultimately, each woman should do what she feels most comfortable with.
Hygiene and Spanx
While most individuals are so conscious about hygiene, it’s worth noting that the brand itself is quite conscious of this aspect
Many Spanx shapewear products come with a built-in, cotton-lined gusset, the cotton material is the same used in regular underwear It is breathable and moisture-wicking helping in reducing the chances of bacterial growth
Spanx and Comfort
The reality is that comfort is highly subjective and varies between individuals. Some people find the feeling of Spanx against their skin to be uncomfortable and prefer to have a layer of underwear between for added comfort, while, others find that Spanx alone provides enough support and coverage. If you are in the first group, consider seamless, thin, moisture-wicking underwear that won’t disrupt the line-smoothing effects of your Spanx.
How to Keep Your Spanx Looking New for Longer
“The Golden Rule: Proper Care For Your Spanx”
There’s hardly anyone in the fashion world who hasn’t yet experienced the host benefits of wearing Spanx this miracle shapewear has promised and delivered a streamlined look for millions of women around the globe
However, like any type of shapewear Spanx require care and maintenance to keep them cleaner and in top condition. So regardless of whether you choose to wear underwear under your Spanx or not, shapewear care is vital. Here’s how you can take care of your Spanx:
Wash After Use:
it is essential to wash your Spanx after each wear, especially if you decide against wearing underwear underneath. This ensures that any sweat, oils, and skin cells are removed, preventing potential skin irritations.
Always read the care label before washing. Some Spanx products may have specific care instructions that should be followed. While some Spanx products are machine-washable, it’s generally better to hand wash them.
Using warm water and a gentle detergent, lightly agitate the water to create suds. Allow the Spanx to soak for up to 30 minutes then rinse thoroughly. Avoid wringing or twisting as it can damage the fabric.
Hang or lay flat to dry on a clean towel Avoid using a dryer as the heat can be harsh on the fabric and damage it by reducing their elasticity.
Tips For Choosing Underwear For Under Spanx
Your choice of underwears can also make a difference. Here are a few tips to consider when buying underwears for under Spanx:
- 1- Opt For Breathable Material: Look for underwears made from natural, breathable fabrics like cotton or bamboo to keep you dry and comfortable. Avoid materials that can cause skin irritation or allergies or excessive sweating.
- 2- Consider Size And Fit: Your underwear should fit snugly but not be so tight that they restrict movement and cause discomfort or be so big, that they might move or bunch up under your Spanx.
- 3- Opt For Seamless: Look for underwear that’s seamless or has laser-cut edges. This’ll prevent any visible panty lines from showing through your clothes.
Alternatives To Wearing Underwear Under Spanx
If you’re still confused about whether wearing underwear or going commando in Spanx, consider these alternatives:
🖤 Shapewear With Built-In Underwear: Some types of shapewear come with built-in underwear. This might be a good solution for those who want coverage and security of underwear without the added layer.
🖤 Use Disposable Liners: You can place disposable liners in the crotch of your Spanx. They add an extra layer of protection and can be changed throughout the day, keeping your Spanx clean and fresh.
The Health Considerations For Wearing Underwear With Spanx
⚠️- Bacterial Infections: Many people find that going commando in Spanx is less hygienic, they pointed out that moisture and sweat would accumulate, leading to Bacterial infections as well as skin irritation wearing moisture-wicking underwear can help mitigate this risk, keeping you dry and comfortable throughout the day.
⚠️- Skin Irritation: Wearing an extra layer of Clothing under your Spanx can cause friction, leading to skin irritation or chafing particularly in sensitive areas.
Ensuring that both your underwear and Spanx are made of soft, breathable materials and fit correctly can help mitigate this risk.
⚠️- Breathability and Circulation: As we have noted earlier, adding an extra layer of clothing can affect the breathability of your ensemble leading to discomfort It could also potentially affect blood circulation if the combined pressure of the Spanx and underwear is too tight wearing the proper fit and size for both your underwear and Spanx can cope with this issue.
In the end, the decision to wear or not wear underwear under Spanx is largely down to personal preference and comfort
Many people can wear Spanx without underwear and don’t experience any problems
While some others may prefer the added layer for more coverage and security
Remember the most important thing is that you feel great in your skin and your clothes no matter what you choose.
Spanx FAQ: Everything You Need to Know
We’ve compiled all the essential information you need to make the most of your Spanx experience:
Q1: Are Spanx Comfortable?
A: Yes, Spanx is designed with both support and comfort in mind. The materials used are soft, breathable, and flexible, ensuring you can wear them throughout the day without discomfort.
Q2: Are You Supposed To Wear Underwear Under Shapewear?
A: The choice to wear underwear under Spanx is personal, considering the pros and cons outlined in the article. Decide based on your comfort and preferences.
Q3: Do People Wear Underwear Under Spandex?
A: It depends on the person and the situation. Some people prefer to wear underwear under spandex for comfort and to prevent chafing. Others find that underwear makes the spandex feel bulky or uncomfortable, and they prefer to go without. Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to wear underwear under spandex is a personal one.
Q4: What Kind of Underwear Do You Wear With Spanx?
A: You can wear any type of underwear with Spanx, but it is best to choose underwear that is seamless and non-bulky. This will help to prevent the underwear from showing through your clothing or from bunching up under the Spanx. Some good options for underwear to wear with Spanx include:
- Seamless thongs: Thongs are a good option for underwear to wear with Spanx because they are very thin and discreet. They are also less likely to show through your clothing than other types of underwear.
- Seamless boyshorts: Boyshorts are another good option for underwear to wear with Spanx. They are a bit more coverage than thongs, but they are still thin and non-bulky.
- Seamless briefs: Briefs are a good option for underwear to wear with Spanx if you want more coverage. They are still thin and non-bulky, but they will provide more coverage than thongs or boyshorts.
- G-strings: G-strings are similar to thongs, but they have a wider coverage in the back. This can be a good option if you are concerned about chafing.
- Seamless bikini briefs: Bikini briefs are a good option for underwear to wear with Spanx if you want a bit more coverage than a thong but not as much coverage as a boyshort or brief. They are still thin and non-bulky, but they will provide more coverage in the front and back than a thong.
It is also important to make sure that the underwear you choose is the right size. If the underwear is too small, it will bunch up under the Spanx. If the underwear is too large, it will be visible through your clothing.
Q5: Can You Wear Spanx While Pregnant?
A: Spanx offers maternity-specific products such as the Mama Mid-Thigh Shaping Sheers, which provide gentle support and comfort for expectant mothers. These products are designed to accommodate a growing belly while providing a smooth silhouette.
Q6: Can I Wear Spanx Every Day?
A: Absolutely! Spanx are designed for everyday wear. You can wear them under work attire, casual outfits, or special occasion dresses to enhance your look and boost your confidence.
Q7: Do Spanx Hide Cellulite?
A: Spanx can help smooth out bumps and imperfections under your clothes using different levels of compression (smoothing, shaping, sculpting). While they can provide a more streamlined look, they don’t permanently hide cellulite.
Q8: Can I Exercise In Spanx?
A: Yes, there are Spanx products specifically designed for exercise, such as shaping leggings and active compression wear. These provide support and comfort during workouts.
Q9: Can Men Wear Spanx?
A: Absolutely! Spanx offers a range of products tailored for men, including compression undershirts, underwear, and socks. These items are designed to help enhance appearance and provide support.
Q10: How Do I Put on Spanx?
A: To put on Spanx, step into the garment and gently pull it up, adjusting as needed. Avoid yanking or pulling too forcefully, as this may damage the material. Start from the bottom and work your way up for the smoothest application.
Q11: Do Spanx Products Have A Warranty?
A: Spanx products come with a limited warranty against manufacturing defects. Make sure to review the warranty information provided with your purchase.
Q12: How To Choose The Right Size Spanx for You?
A: Choosing the right size Spanx can make a significant difference in achieving a comfortable and flattering fit. Here are some steps to help you find the perfect size:
- Understand Your Body Shape: Before selecting Spanx, take a moment to assess your body shape. Are you looking to target specific areas like your waist, hips, thighs, or all of the above? Knowing your trouble zones will help you determine which type of Spanx will be most effective for your needs.
- Know the Different Styles: Spanx offers a variety of styles, from high-waisted shorts to bodysuits and camisoles. Each style serves a different purpose, so choose one that aligns with the outfits you plan to wear. For instance, a high-waisted brief would be perfect under a dress, while a bodysuit might work well with a fitted top and jeans.
- Measurements Matter: Accurate measurements are crucial. Use a fabric tape measure to determine your waist, hips, and thigh circumference. Write down these measurements and refer to the Spanx size chart provided on their website or the retailer’s site. Make sure to follow their guidelines for taking measurements and selecting sizes.
- Consider Compression Levels: Spanx offers varying levels of compression: light, medium, and firm. Light compression provides a subtle smoothing effect, medium offers moderate shaping, and firm provides maximum control. Choose the compression level that aligns with your comfort and the level of support you’re seeking.
- Check for Sizing Tips: Some Spanx products come with specific sizing tips or recommendations. For instance, if you’re between sizes, they might suggest sizing up for a more comfortable fit. Pay attention to these details when making your decision.
- Read Customer Reviews: Customer reviews can be incredibly insightful. Look for feedback from individuals with similar body types and concerns. They might mention whether the Spanx runs small, large, or true to size, which can help you make an informed decision.
- Think About Fabric: Different Spanx products are made from varying materials, such as nylon, spandex, or a blend. Consider the fabric’s stretchiness and breathability. If you’re looking for all-day comfort, opt for a breathable fabric that won’t leave you feeling too restricted.
- Try On and Move Around: If you have the chance, try on the Spanx to assess the fit. Move around, sit, bend, and walk to ensure that it remains comfortable and doesn’t dig into your skin or roll down. If purchasing online, make sure the retailer offers a good return/exchange policy in case the size isn’t right.
- Think about the Occasion: Consider where and when you plan to wear the Spanx. If it’s for a special event, you might prioritize a firmer fit for extra shaping. For everyday wear, you might opt for a more comfortable and breathable option.
- Consult Customer Service: If you’re uncertain about sizing or need personalized advice, don’t hesitate to reach out to Spanx’s customer service or the retailer’s support. They can provide insights based on your measurements and preferences.
#wear underwear with shapewear #wear underwear with a bodysuit