Board Shorts vs Swim Trunks: Which is Best for You?
Swim Trunks are known as swim shorts, Men or boys wear them for water use. They are popular for swimming or sport activities at the beach like volleyball
They have lightweight materials that’re meant for maximum maneuverability in the Water. Another aspect that you really like about Swim trunks is the waistband construction. The Waistband is elastic with drawstring closure to provide comfort and flexibility so there are never any issues with material bunching or lack of security
Swim trunks have also a loose, boxy fit similar to boxer shorts They are often sized from XS to XL. They are made of quick-dry materials, like nylon or polyester that won’t bog the wearer down when wet.
They also feature a soft nylon mesh insert or liner. This mesh insert prevents chafing sometimes caused by the outer material rubbing against the skin. They offer some variation in length ranging from mid-thigh to knee-length hemlines
Generally, they are less expensive than board shorts. Swim Trunks for men start at about $18.
Board Shorts Vs Swim Trunks: (Pros, Cons & Uses)
What Are Swim Trunks?
Swim Trunks Pros:
- In men’s sizes, inseams range from 4 inches to 9 inches
- They are made of quick-dry fabric and stretchy materials
- Made of high-quality polyester that offers long-lasting comfort
- comes with a drawstring closure that makes it easy to wear and take off.
- Features an elastic waistband that offers a secure fitting
- They have a built-in mesh liner that provides breathability by allowing air to circulate and wick away moisture
- Comfortable for lounging on the beach or poolside
- Offer some variation in length from mid-thigh to knee-length hemliness
- less expensive than board shorts
Swim Trunks Cons:
- may wrinkle easily
- not as durable as more rugged boardshorts. May fray, fade and wear out faster
- Mesh insert can feel constricting and debris can get caught in it
- Wide, short legs can ride up during strenuous water activities.
- don’t offer more coverage and sun protection
What Are Board Shorts?
Board Shorts Were originally designed for Surfers. They are worn by both men or women for water use. They are popular for surfing or intense water activities like wakeboarding.
Surfers usually need the range of motion that also covers them like longer shorts would. That’s why, board shorts usually come down closer to the knee than swim trunks.
The longer length was intended to keep surf wax from ripping out a surfer’s leg hair as well as reducing irritation from rubbing.
Another aspect that you really like about board shorts is that they are stylish and can be worn off the beach as casual streetwear.
Unlike Swim Trunks, board shorts aren’t particularly soft and they don’t have much of the mesh inner lining so many surfers can wear them over other undergarments or swimsuit bottoms
In addition, board shorts also have a tighter, more secure waistband with a Velcro fly and drawstring closure – no elastic involved. This helps keep the shorts on while engaged in intense water activities
Generally, They are more expensive than swim shorts. Authentic board shorts start at $28.
Board Shorts Pros:
- Quick dry comfortable design: breathable and moisture wicking to keep sweat away and dry fast
- Very durable and constructed to withstand high-performance water activities
- More secure waistband with a Velcro fly and drawstring closure that help keep the shorts on
- Better for activities like surfing and wakeboarding
- Allow for better range of motion
- Come in a variety of styles and colors you can choose board shorts with stripes, gradients or seashells and other sea creatures printed on them
- They fit looser especially in the thigh and buttocks area
- Offer more coverage and sun prodection
- Stylish and can be worn for casual streetwear
- Can wear them over other undergarments or swimsuit bottoms
- Made of high-quality nylon that ensures extended durability
- They are safe to machine wash
Board Shorts Cons:
- More expensive than swimsuits
- Narrow fit isn’t suitable for all body types
- Can not be pulled on and off easily
- The shorts may be see-through
- fitted Waistband is less comfortable than an elastic band and doesn’t allow for much give
- Less comfortable for lounging on the beach
Board shorts and swim trunks are different clothing pieces. There are several differences in terms of look, feel and functionality. Board shorts are a good choice for those who do surfing or wakeboarding but may not be the best option for people who just want to relax around their backyard pool.
Swimtrunks can be more functional for this purpose but board shorts have a modern aesthetic that is better suited with different types of clothing.