Board Shorts vs Swim Trunks: Which is Best for You?
Swim Trunks are known as swim shorts, Men or boys wear them for water use. They are popular for swimming or sport activities at the beach like volleyball
They have lightweight materials that’re meant for maximum maneuverability in the Water. Another aspect that you really like about Swim trunks is the waistband construction. The Waistband is elastic with drawstring closure to provide comfort and flexibility so there are never any issues with material bunching or lack of security
Swim trunks have also a loose, boxy fit similar to boxer shorts They are often sized from XS to XL. They are made of quick-dry materials, like nylon or polyester that won’t bog the wearer down when wet.
They also feature a soft nylon mesh insert or liner. This mesh insert prevents chafing sometimes caused by the outer material rubbing against the skin. They offer some variation in length ranging from mid-thigh to knee-length hemlines
Generally, they are less expensive than board shorts. Swim Trunks for men start at about $18.
Board Shorts Vs Swim Trunks: (Pros, Cons & Uses)
What are Swim Trunks?
Swim Trunks Pros:
- In men’s sizes, inseams range from 4 inches to 9 inches
- They are made of quick-dry fabric and stretchy materials
- Made of high-quality polyester that offers long-lasting comfort
- comes with a drawstring closure that makes it easy to wear and take off.
- Features an elastic waistband that offers a secure fitting
- They have a built-in mesh liner that provides breathability by allowing air to circulate and wick away moisture
- Comfortable for lounging on the beach or poolside
- Offer some variation in length from mid-thigh to knee-length hemliness
- less expensive than board shorts
Swim Trunks Cons:
- may wrinkle easily
- not as durable as more rugged boardshorts. May fray, fade and wear out faster
- Mesh insert can feel constricting and debris can get caught in it
- Wide, short legs can ride up during strenuous water activities.
- don’t offer more coverage and sun protection
Best Swim Trunks for Women’s & Men’s
1- Aleumdr Women’s Side Split Waistband Swim Shorts with Panty Plus Size S – 3XL
This Pair of Swim Short is really popular and that popularity is for a reason.
These swim shorts are incredibly lightweight and comfortable. They are made of Spandex and polyester that feel very soft on the skin and super durable
What’s more, is that this pair of shorts comes with a front tie drawstring which allows you to fit the shorts snugly against your pelvis
If your first concern is durability and you want to use your swim shorts in high-impact activities, you can’t go wrong by picking The Aleumdr Women’s Side Split Waistband Swim Shorts:
They are perfect for intense water activities and allow you to improve your performance in water-based sports
You can find them in ten colors as well as in two available sizes: Small and 3X-Large
All in all, Aleumdr is one of the most trusted brands and all its products are high in quality, That you shouldn’t be hesitant when purchasing them.
- Perfect for high-impact activities
- Wide elastic waist with front tie drawstring
- Package Contents: One Piece Tankini Shorts
You May Also Like:
2- Most Comfortable: Maui Rippers Women’s 4-Way Stretch 9” Swim Shorts
Here is another perfect option when it comes to shopping for the best swim trunks for women.
The uniqueness of this pair of swim shorts lays on their stretchy materials stems from
These add extra comfort allowing you for better range of motion and good performance in water-based sports.
Whether you’re swimming or walking on the beach or playing volleyball, the Maui Rippers’ Will make your body feel comfortable and fresh
More than that, these shorts are built from a quick-dry fabric that typically dry faster ensuring you have a whale of time on the beach
All in All, when Maui Rippers is brought to the topic, great durability and suitability for multiple areas is what you can expect.
Our offer is now available on Amazon in 7 different colors including black, Ebony Magnolia, Navy, Maui Blue, etc… and in sizes ranging from 0 to 18
So Hurry Up and choose, for your self one pair or two. You’ll really be sweet in them
- Our Shorts run true to size and a little loose. If in doubt or in-between sizes size down. Over the years we've improved the fit of our shorts, so they do not run small. Lounge on the beach or lounge by the pool in style. Grab a pair of these cute...
- MULTI-USE CLOTHING: These soft shorts make great swimwear or casual shorts for any time of year. They’re modest and let you cover up a two-piece suit while out of the water. They are also stretchy enough for competitive athletic activities. They allow...
- HIGH-QUALITY DESIGN: These slimming swim shorts come in a full range of sizes and are flattering on both slim and plus-size teens and women. Girls who like to be comfortable will appreciate the soft, 4-way stretch of the polyester-Spandex fabric and the...
3- For Men’s: Maamgic Mens Quick Dry Printed Short Swim Trunks With Mesh Lining Swimwear
This one is worth buying for Men Looking for Comfy Shorts that look perfect for water use. It features an elastic waistband with drawstring for an ultimate security
Your swim shorts’ll never sag or slip down when you are swimming, surfing, running or doing intense water activities
Besides, our top model is built from 100% Polyester that is lightweight, comfortable and durable. Its quick-drying fabric ensures that your swim short dries faster
If you are looking for a swimwear that’s slim fit, above knee length, this is the style you’re looking for.
In addition, this item has two side pockets, plus a back Velcro pocket with drainage so they won’t get waterlogged and prevent items from falling out
- QUICK DRY SWIM TRUNKS - 100% Polyester; Made of quick drying fabric, lightweight, comfort, excellent ability of water repellent ( Not waterproof ) . High quality print mens swim trunks, never fade, no peeling. Soft mesh lining allows for maximum breath...
- ELASTIC WAISTBAND with DRAWSTRING - Our 7 inch swim shorts combined a comfortable elastic waistband with adjustable drawstring for a ultimate security. Your swim shorts will never sag or slip down when you swimming, beach surfing, running, ball sports, at...
- FASHIONABLE & PRACTICAL SWIM SHORTS with POCKETS - If you're looking for a swimsuit / swimwear that's slim fit, above knee length this is the style you're looking for. Have two side pockets, plus a back velcro pocket with drainage so they wont get...
What are Board Shorts?
Board Shorts Were originally designed for Surfers. They are worn by both men or women for water use. They are popular for surfing or intense water activities like wakeboarding.
Surfers usually need the range of motion that also covers them like longer shorts would. That’s why, board shorts usually come down closer to the knee than swim trunks.
The longer length was intended to keep surf wax from ripping out a surfer’s leg hair as well as reducing irritation from rubbing.
Another aspect that you really like about board shorts is that they are stylish and can be worn off the beach as casual streetwear.
Unlike Swim Trunks, board shorts aren’t particularly soft and they don’t have much of the mesh inner lining so many surfers can wear them over other undergarments or swimsuit bottoms
In addition, board shorts also have a tighter, more secure waistband with a Velcro fly and drawstring closure – no elastic involved. This helps keep the shorts on while engaged in intense water activities
Generally, They are more expensive than swim shorts. Authentic board shorts start at $28.
Board Shorts Pros:
- Quick dry comfortable design: breathable and moisture wicking to keep sweat away and dry fast
- Very durable and constructed to withstand high-performance water activities
- More secure waistband with a Velcro fly and drawstring closure that help keep the shorts on
- Better for activities like surfing and wakeboarding
- Allow for better range of motion
- Come in a variety of styles and colors you can choose board shorts with stripes, gradients or seashells and other sea creatures printed on them
- They fit looser especially in the thigh and buttocks area
- Offer more coverage and sun prodection
- Stylish and can be worn for casual streetwear
- Can wear them over other undergarments or swimsuit bottoms
- Made of high-quality nylon that ensures extended durability
- They are safe to machine wash
Board Shorts Cons:
- More expensive than swimsuits
- Narrow fit isn’t suitable for all body types
- Can not be pulled on and off easily
- The shorts may be see-through
- fitted Waistband is less comfortable than an elastic band and doesn’t allow for much give
- Less comfortable for lounging on the beach
Best Board Shorts Women’s & Men’s
1- For Women: MiYang Women’s Swim Boardshorts Beach Pant
These shorts include key features like Quick-dry fabric to keep you comfortable and dry throughout water games. They are also made with 18% Spandex for phenomenal stretchability, allowing you to move freely and 82% nylon for extended durability. They also come with a tie closure that makes it easy to wear
You Can Pair These Shorts with your favorite swim tops, bikinis, tankini tops, rash guards or yoga tops. You can also use them for many occasions like: diving, swimming, beach, sunbathe yoga, exercise, running or any other sport
- 【DESIGN】Double lined for no see-through, adjustable side ties and elastic waist make you comfortable to wear.
- 【OCCASION】For Diving/ Swimming/ Beach/ Sunbathe/ Yoga/ Exercise/ Running/ Any Sports.
- 【FEATURES】Quick dry fabric offers maximum comfort/ Lightweight/ Breathable, More stretchy to wear.
2- Best Women’s Plus Size Board Short: Roxy Women’s Endless Summer 2″ Boardshort
Different sizes are available of Women’s Boardshorts. These are perfect for small as well as Plus Sized Women. The design of these shorts is beautiful. The quality of the product is high and these are made from 4-way stretch fabric that’ll allow you to move with comfort
They are made out of 90% polyester and 10% elastane, making them incredibly quick-drying and perfect for going in the water
These shorts are a chosen product for plus-sized women because they are well-fitted
Versatile! Featuring a thick, stretchy waistband for extra coverage, you can either wear these shorts for beach or as a casual wear
- ROXY ENDLESS SUMMER: Summer surf days call for a pair of cute and comfy boardshorts from our ROXY Essentials Collection; Features a drawcord waistband, 2 inch inseam, and 4-way stretch fabric
- STRETCH FABRIC: Made from four way stretch fabric that will allow you to move with comfort; Perfect for all of your needs in and out of the waves
- QUALITY & COMFORT: The Endless Summer features a knit belt foldover waistband with drawcord for a comfortable, secure fit
3- For Men’s: Hurley Men’s One and Only 22 Inch Board Short
Hurley is likewise one of the most trusted brands when it comes to buying a pair of board shorts for Men.
They focus explicitly on providing quality products. That’s why, when you opt in for boardshorts designed by Hurley durability and stylish look is what you can expect
What’s more is that pair is True to size, it fits perfect. The inseam is 22 inches, it has no liner on the inside but although there is no liner, it is not sheer material. It also features one pocket on the right side to store any personal things.
- Hurley Size Chart
- Mark my words; the epic One & Only Boardshort made with modern technology will become the classic style you've always wanted.
- Polyester supersuede material dries quickly and provides for a superb wear when you're out there thrashin'.
Board shorts and swim trunks are different clothing pieces. There are several differences in terms of look, feel and functionality. Board shorts are a good choice for those who do surfing or wakeboarding but may not be the best option for people who just want to relax around their backyard pool.
Swimtrunks can be more functional for this purpose but board shorts have a modern aesthetic that is better suited with different types of clothing.